Como Cataluña, Galicia es uno de los lugares en España donde se habla un idioma regional-o sea el gallego.
Decidí ir a Santiago de Compostela- el final del antiguo Camino de Santiago de los peregrinos. Quería visitar la catedral y la ciudad, también quería ver la costa gallega y ver las rías.
Galicia is one of the 17 autonomous communities of Spain (they´re like its provinces). It is located in the northwest, north of Portugal.
Just like Catalonia, Galicia also has a regional language called Gallego- it is a cross between Spanish and Portuguese. I decided to fly into Santiago de Compostela the last stop on the Camino de Santiago, or in English the Way of St James. I also wanted to see the coast and the estuaries that characterise this region.
La catedral de Santiago- un ejemplo de arte románico- Gracias profe Enrique jeje- Es impresionante esta catedral con su reliquia, el cuerpo de Santiago apostel- según las leyendas, yo, pues, soy un escéptico.
The St. James Cathedral, an example of romanesque art- I still remember some things from my art history class. It was impressive with its relic- the body of St. James the apostle- according to the legends, but I am a skeptic.
Tuve la oportunidad de participar en una queimada- una ritual de los gallegos- acompañada con un chico tocando la gaita- un instrumento típico de la región- nos tocó una muñeira entre otros ritmos. Después bebimos lo que es la bebida de la queimada- aguardiente con azúcar, manzana y otros ingredientes.
Later we decided to take the car and go for a ride along the coast- Destination Fisterra (the end of the Earth...or so they thought when they named it) Here I am along the coast-very typical- lots of green, cliffs, and clouds/fog.
A small village- like many that we passed by along the way to Fisterra.
The hórreo or sideways silo of Carnota- these structures were quite common around Galicia and were used to store grain- The photo below is of one that is significantly longer than others I had seen, and was labelled from the roadway as an attraction.
The beach of a small town where we met some fishermen- one of whom spoke English- because he worked in Holland- he said.
Una pera- postre después del menú del día en Vigo- muy simple pero muy bonita ¿no crees?
I thought this simple dessert was quite nicely presented, so I decided to take a picture- it´s just a pear!
Una calle peatonal de Vigo con las decoraciones de Navidad- increíble que ya es diciembre.
The main shopping street (no cars allowed- just pedestrians)- Christmas decorations already? I can´t believe it is Navidad!
Una de las muchas playas de Vigo- Gracias a Lisa y su compañero Manuel Felipe que me mostraron la belleza de su ciudad. ¡Gracias! Tengo muchas ganas de volver a comer más mejellones, almejas y pulpo :)
One of the many beaches of Vigo- Thanks Lisa and your friend Manuel Felipe for showing me how beautiful your city is! I really want to come back and eat some more mussels, clams and octopus!
No comments:
Post a Comment